DEAR MR.MANDELA… DEAR MRS. PARKS
CHILDREN’S LETTERS: GLOBAL LESSONS
An exhibition developed by the Nelson Mandela Museum (Mthatha, Eastern Cape, South Africa), Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute for Self-Development (Detroit, Michigan, USA) and Michigan State University Museum (East Lansing, Michigan, USA), with support of a grant from the United States Embassy in South Africa.
ABOUT THIS EXHIBITION
Hundreds of children around the world wrote letters to two individuals—Mr. Nelson Mandela of South Africa and Mrs. Rosa L. Parks of the United States—who were internationally known for their work in human rights. This exhibition was inspired by those letters and aims to help visitors, young and old, from South Africa, the United States, and around the world to:
- Become more aware of the contributions of these two individuals to human rights
- Become more aware of the values they share
- Increase appreciation of their own cultures and traditions
- Understand and be tolerant of diverse cultures and traditions
- Become aware of the ongoing struggle for human rights around the world
- Find ways to honour individuals in their own families and communities who have contributed, in large and small ways, to making a better world.