The Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Dr Vuyani Gweki Booi who serves under the overall direction of the Minister of Department of Arts and Culture, and a 12-member council lead the museum.
The Council Chairperson is Dr Nomvuselelo Songelwa. The Deputy Chairperson is Advocate Tokyo Nevondwe, Ms Josephilda Nhlapho-Hlope, Mr Sibusiso Mdlangazi, Mr Sizwe Mzamo, Mr Mafa Romeo Bavuma, Ms Zanele Hlatshwayo, Professor Bheki Mngomezulu, Dr Kolekile Ngqila, Ms Ndileka Mandela, Ms Thandeka Ndlovu and Mr Kenny Gontse.
The Nelson Mandela Museum reports quarterly to the Minister of Arts and Culture and annually to the National Assembly. This takes place after an independent, external audit.
The Nelson Mandela Museum is of enormous importance to the heritage of the Eastern Cape and for the whole of South Africa. Ensuring that Nelson Mandela’s legacy is protected, treasured and given the support to grow and develop, while helping our people to grow and develop, is a responsibility that is not taken lightly.
We understand the challenges that face us, and undertake to face those challenges with diligence and integrity, and in a way that honours the man to whom this museum is dedicated: Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela.
The Nelson Mandela Museum is at the centre of the Mandela legacy, and we celebrate that legacy through a variety of projects. These include:
- Creating a reference library with a definitive collection of books about Nelson Mandela
- Hosting youth leadership camps at the Nelson Mandela Youth and Heritage Centre, at which our future leaders are provided with an active learning experience that encompasses human rights, democracy, indigenous knowledge systems and national history
- Conceptualising exhibition programmes that illustrate his vision and values, his life and times
How to help
Generous contributions to the museum are a glorious way of contributing to lifelong learning dedicated to the legacy of Nelson Mandela, facilitating the growth of dynamic programming and taking the museum to the next level. Options:
- A single donation
- A monthly pledge
- Annual pledge
- Include the museum in your bequest/will
You can choose to fund:
- Publications and programmes
- Outreach and community empowerment
- Collections management
There is also a newly established Friends of the Nelson Mandela Museum – you can download the form by following the link on the museum website home page.
For further information please contact:
Senior manager: public engagement: Ms Nontlahla Tandwa-Dalindyebo
Tel: +27 (0)47 501 9513
Cell: +27 (0)72 791 3493